Monday, March 3, 2014

World War 2: Connecting w a Veteran (12)

Lloyd, a WW2 veteran (RCNVR, Combined Operations, a man of the barges), liked my idea to take him a copy of Combined Operations by Londoner, Clayton Marks. Right up his alley it would be.

His response made me think he would have enjoyed meeting the men from Combined Ops who worked hard to get a book out about their adventures.

["My dad contributed stories; others typed. published, etc."]

Lloyd wrote the following about the subject of a visit:

Thank you for the chance to read that book. Will let you know when it would be a good time to come. My son had a book made for me for my navy history that you saw on the internet plus a lot more pictures. My youngest granddaughter borrowed it for herself and a friend to read. If you want to see it I will let you know when I get it back and you can come then. If you don't want to see it let me know and you can come almost any day that I don't have a medical appointment.

It's a good book that cost him $90. I am going to have them print 7 copies, one for my 3 sons and 3 grand children.

Will be nice to see you. And I will show you the book I had Apple make for me called My Backyard Zoo. Lloyd

The words "plus a lot more pictures" sent up a flare in my mind's eye. Oh yes, I would like to see the son's book. Now it's just down to details.

I wrote today:

Hi Lloyd,

Thank you for the letter from last week with details about the navy history book your son put together for you. I do indeed want to see it. If you can get the book back easily from your granddaughter that would be wonderful, but no problem if you can't right away.


I mentioned a couple of options for dates, then added the following:

Whatever works best for you and your family, I am flexible.

Keep well, Lloyd.

Gord

PS Mrs. C. is giving me a look over. Seed mix is low so I better get out back with more.



I anticipate a rewarding visit. Earlier photos he sent me are, in my opinion, exceedingly rare glimpses of WW2 sailors and action. "A lot more pictures" - I can barely wait.


Photos by GH

No comments: